Saturday 16 July 2016

SUTD and the Imperial interview

The view outside my hostel!

The story of SUTD

How did I stumble upon SUTD was a funny story, it all began with Collegeboard, the SAT administrator. Back when I registered for the SAT, I clicked on a feature to let colleges and universities mail me with any offers and advertisement they had, and SUTD had sent me a mail with a big hook - apply for free!

I know that this wasn't a great factor but it did interested me. After paying fees to apply to 12 universities worldwide, it was refreshing to see a university that didn't ask you to pay something to attempt to enter. Although I haven't heard of this university before but there was nothing to lose in applying to SUTD. In fact, it was great practice in case I need to apply to other universities as well. With that thinking in mind, I completed the application and awaited the other offers.

Around March, SUTD gave me an interview invitation. I remember being interviewed by Prof. Ate and Prof. Jer Ming. They asked me everything that I wrote in the essay, including my chess club leadership, my Leo Club leadership and what I did in my brief stint in robotics club. They seemed to emphasize the last point because SUTD was after all, a tech school. I thought the interview went pretty well as compared to my Cambridge interview. I remember not rehearsing anything for the interview and just being myself. I didn't think much of SUTD then.

Imperial College Interview

In February, I received an interview invitation from Imperial College London (IC). It was to be my first Skype interview but not my last one. I was interviewed by Dr. Connor Myant for IC's newly minted design engineering program. At that time, the Public Service (JPA) department's scholarship was converted into a local scholarship and I was very demotivated. At that point I was thinking what was the point to take the interview anyway. Even if I get accepted, I may not get enough finances to go. I was pretty cynical at that time.

Even with that frame in mind, I still prepared for my interview. I asked for time off from my manager Arun (I was working in Singapore) and prepared my calculator and writing tools. The interview however was not what I expected (I had Cambridge style interview in my mind). Being an interviewer for the design course, Dr. Myant instead asked me to talk about my favourite gadgets and their intelligent design. Then he asked me to design a chair. This was totally different than the Cambridge interview as I felt like I was having a nice long chat with the professor about the products that I liked and their features. There were some mathematical questions of course, but they were not as intense as the Cambridge questions. At the end of it, I even managed to ask Dr. Myant about the possibilities of a scholarship. He said a bit embarrassingly that chances were low.

The Offers

In March/April the results were out. I got offers from both Imperial and SUTD but SUTD offered me much more. They offered me a scholarship together with an exchange program to UCB. I was as elated as I was worried. If I have never heard of SUTD before, chances are will employers out there would never heard of it as well. Will the course even be rigorous? I have been dreaming to study abroad for so long, but I was longing more for countries across oceans, not just across the Causeway. Will SUTD be a good fit? Is it well recognised?

I realized that my problems were SUTD is due to the lack of information on my part. Just looking at the online brochures does not teach me much about SUTD so I visited the campus. After all, I was working in Singapore. I also contacted a Malaysian senior who is studying there and had a nice long chat with him. Through him and my own eyes, I found SUTD to be a very nice place. In place of the traditional science labs, SUTD has fabrication labs for you to manufacture your own products. The library lets you use Kindle to access e-books and the whole campus gives you a modern vibe. The industry has recognized SUTD well as its first batch of graduates (in 2015) were reported to have the highest starting salary. The partnership with MIT ensures that the coursework would be interesting and tough. And as a plus it has the course that I wanted - product design.

Most importantly, if I accepted SUTD's offer, I would have something which is much more valuable - a peace of mind. After applying to 14 universities and not finding a viable path, I was getting exhausted and frustrated. I felt that my life was just a never ending application to colleges. With little support from my parents (in terms of application advice) and mentors, I had been doing this ala lone ranger mode and it was tiring me out. Accepting the offer would mean that I will finally end this uncertainty once and for all and I will have the peace of mind that has enticed me for so long.

There were a few things that I need to consider before saying yes, and that were the possibilities of better options. With SUTD's offer deadline in May, I need to accept it before I even knew the results of my NUS/NTU offers or the replies from the various corporations which I have asked for scholarship. After carefully analyzing the situation and doing some deep soul searching, I reasoned that no offer would be better than this - even scholarship offers to good universities overseas would bond me to their company for long periods. As a result, I have come to the conclusion that SUTD would be the best choice after all.

About my reluctance in accepting the offer, realisation struck that I have not diminished my dream but rather I have attained it. Given the circumstances, it was one of the best outcome that I could have instead of languishing in some place I don't like. It was kind of like "reach for the stars, if you can't do it, you can at least grab the moon" concept. And as young kid from Raub to have achieved this stage of life all by himself, all I can say is that the kid is somehow proud of himself.

At the end of the day, don't give up on your dreams. You might find it to be very hard, but the struggles will eventually make you a better person. Who knows? You might even find yourself amongst the stars some day
"reach for the stars, if you can't do it, you can at least grab the moon."

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I am applying to SUTD this year. What are my chances?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello sweet is me, why don't you add me on Facebook @lumo woong and we can discuss in private. It really depends on a lot of things

      Delete
    2. Hi. I am actually not on facebook. Do u hv Quora?

      Delete
    3. Hello, unfortunately I'm not a frequent user of Quora. Do you mind sending me a short intro to my e-mail instead

      Delete
    4. sorry for the late reply. Been having exams lately:
      wentat126@yahoo.com

      Delete