Wednesday 17 August 2016

PI: From A-level to UM

I can't help it. Whenever I think of lawyers, I only think of this guy:

Phoenix Wright - objecting since 2001

However, real-life law is much different from the logic defying world of "Ace Attorney". Let Jean Lee bring you through her UM Law interview experience, which is grounded in the real world and is unique as she uses her A-Level qualification to apply for the course. This is information is useful for those who are holding A-Levels and/or AUSMAT certificates, as Jean has proven that it is possible to get into UM with those qualifications. So read up, who knows if you'll be the next Ace Attorney :)

From A-level to UM: Law Interview Experience

by Jean Lee

Yes, I’m offered to read Law in University of Malaya, one of the top public universities in Malaysia. This post will be a recount of my application and interview experience; I sincerely hope it will be helpful for those who desire to get into UM.

I know it sounds bizarre; instead of Matriculation or STPM, I did my A-level in Sunway College under MOE’s bursary programme. Applying to public universities was my last resort as I had my eyes on Top 20 universities in the world. Unfortunately, in case you haven’t heard, the JPA scholarship was suspended out of the blue, and my dream to step into LSE (London School of Economics and Political Science) shattered. Poof! Studying locally is my only option now, and it’s crucial to make the best choice.

As a prospective law student, I preferred enrolling into CLP-exempted schools. Why? CLP, aka Certificate in Legal Practice, must be taken if one wishes to practise law in Malaysia. It’s definitely more affordable than UK bar schools, but it’s difficult to pass as well. I’ve heard stories of law students not being able to be called to the Malaysian bar after failing the paper thrice. Ba-dum-tss. I’m only familiar with two CLP-exempted institutions, namely UM and MMU(Multimedia University). The other institutions comprise a few public universities I’ve never really heard of. Of course, it’s advisable to do more research on your own. If you think you’re able to handle CLP, you’re more than welcomed to opt for other private universities.

I wasn’t really sure (more like, I have no idea) how UPU works so don’t drop me any enquiries. I took the risk and only applied for UM (around April). I did get an offer from MMU after paying RM1500 but ended up not going there. RM500 forfeited, that’s like more than half of my salary. Disclaimer : IF YOU HAVE A WEAK HEART AND CAN’T TAKE THE RISK, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS. Back to the application process. It’s free-of-charge, hassle-free and you can submit your application straight to UM’s website. MUET is an entry requirement for Law, so make sure you have Band 4. To be honest, I applied with IELTS, but was given a chance to attend the interview. I didn’t escape MUET entirely; it became an exit requirement (gotta sit for the test before graduating) so I took it in July. Let’s not stray from the topic. Applicants are required to select at least 2 choices; I chose Law as my first and randomly picked Business Admin as my second. Yes, just 2. Disclaimer: DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE COURAGE. I REPEAT, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS DANGEROUS ACT.

UM notified me the interview session in between end of May and early June. It’s advisable to check your application portal(myum-id.um.edu.my) from time to time so that you wouldn’t miss it. I was amused when UM denied me of an interview for my second choice; well it didn’t matter anyway. The interview was in late June, and if you intend to do Law in UM, please make preparations beforehand. Ensure that you’re aware of the current issues and try to articulate your own views. Critical thinking and rationality come in handy here. A few more tips before I discuss the questions asked during the interview. I’m not going into the cliche “be yourself” advice. I never found it helpful, and let’s not erase the possibility that the douchey side of yourself could be destructive. If you’re an extremely nervous person, don’t be yourself. Pretend you’re calm; superb acting skills are a bonus. The interviewers do not know you personally so make use of the drama club training. Hide it well. Rumour has it that imagining your audience naked helps, so no harm trying that too. Most importantly, show them that you’re confident and aware of what you’re talking about. It’s okay if you think that they disagree with you; being firm on your stand is a quality they’re looking for. Oh, as for the dress code, wear something appropriate and professional. Refrain from wearing jeans and sneakers; you’re a future lawyer, not a dancer.

The interview started off with the basic questions you can google. Describe yourself, why this course, why this institution, etc. Pretend you’re a product. Market yourself. I remembered how my voice cracked once I opened my mouth. That’s embarrassing. My interviewers were a man and a woman-the former spoke Malay whereas the latter spoke English. Interviewers have the choice to converse in either of the two languages so I advise you to brush up both. It wasn’t compulsory to reply in the same language but for impression’s sake, do it. Throughout the interview, I was asked:


  1. To discuss a recent (legal) issue in the nation
  2. The importance of history
  3. The advantages of sports
  4. The reasons why I took science subjects in A-level
  5. If memory serves me right, these were the only questions.

They were very mind-torturous. Especially the first question. Initially, I was asked about an issue in my own state (NS), but the interviewer altered it when I said there’s nothing to talk about. I chose the deaths of detainees as my topic of discussion. The struggle was real. I answered awkwardly in Malay, but hey, at least I made good points. Content>Elaboration. Just don’t beat around the bush. Brace yourself to be bombarded with 5W1H questions; this is why it’s important to be cautious with everything you mention during the interview. Be honest with yourself and don’t let the interviewers’ questions startle you. If you require time to ponder on a certain question, they will be more than pleased to allow you to do so. Well-thought answers triumph over empty talks.

That’s all folks. I received the result on 8th of August, and was really surprised they want me. If I’m not mistaken, UM announced last year that they welcome A-level and AUSMAT students. Good things are worth the try😉 .

PS: If there’s anyone who’s curious about how I answered, do drop me a comment. I’ll get back to you personally.


Do you like the way Jean blogs, or do you want to find out more about her? Visit her blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment